Thursday, February 2, 2012

They're getting it

Every once in a while I have one of those days where I wonder why in the world I am a stay at home mom?  My kids are driving me crazy.... I'm pretty sure I'm driving them crazy.... and once in a while I have the thought that they would be happier in daycare with a more consistent structure, playing with their friends all day.  I know from talking to other moms that I'm not alone in having this feeling occasionally (or everyday).

It's a big task.  Being a mom is not the most glorious job on the planet, and sometimes I think it's quite possibly the hardest.  And I'm not always confident that I'm any good at it.

Because the kids are fighting....and I'm yelling. Sometimes I feel like I'm the professional time-out enforcer. They're whining...a lot. Claire refuses to use the toilet.  And has no desire to learn her colors (really, she just says everything is pink so we can move on. lol)  I don't always provide the most structured day.  And sometimes they watch more cartoons than they should.... and I begin to wonder if I'm qualified to do this.

 But every once in a while something happens that reminds me that even in the midst of all that....they're getting it.

Photobucket

Today, Boden ran out to the curb as the bus was pulling up and Claire ran after him and they both got there before me.  I grabbed Titus and followed.  I looked up and nearly started crying at what I saw.  Claire had her hand on Boden's head and was praying for him.

I couldn't make out what exactly she said (because I was scrambling for my iphone to capture the moment) but it didn't matter.  What mattered to me is that she's getting it.

And then it no longer mattered she thinks every single color is pink...or that that she has no desire to potty train.  What she does know is that she should pray for her brother.  She has watched me pray over him before he gets on the bus everyday.  She has learned something from me.  And it's way more important than colors or numbers or reading or writing, she'll get to those eventually.

I'm reminded today that I know I'm here for a reason.  God put me here to raise up these little children to know and love the Lord.  To be a reflection of Christ to them everyday.  And I'm so thankful for these reminders that God gives me once in awhile to show me that even though I don't always feel like I'm doing a good job - I am on the right track.  They're getting it.  Thank you Jesus.


Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

6 comments:

Deronda said...

Megan, This makes me cry with joy. I think you do a great job, and Praise God they are getting it.
Love you keep up the good work.

Caela said...

I LOVE them, they are so sweet!!! What a great post Meg! And you ARE doing a great job and they ARE getting it. And I also love that you are thrifty and have bought Boden a backpack that will last him through high school!! Ha! Love you all lots!!

Megan Brueseke said...

lol! Caela - you made me laugh til tears. I laugh about this all the time because the school said many times that he had to have a "full sized" backpack. I finally got this one which isn't quite as big as some of the others, but totally swallows him....and then half the kids in his class have cute little preschool backpacks. What?! anyway - he loves it, so we keep using it. :)

Scott and Steph Wenz said...

Your do right about Olivia and Claire bring so similar. What a sweet little girl and she loves her big brother so much. I sm sure you are s fabulous mother!

Lo said...

Megan! We talk about you all the time and what a great job you do raising those kids to be MIGHTY children! We always talk about how Boden knew all the characters in his Bible at age 2 and he memorized scripture. You are an incredible mom and don't forget it. What a precious moment! Glad you caught it on camera!!

Unknown said...

Megan, I've missed reading your blogs? Have you given up on writing them? Michael is one of my cousins, and it was great being able to see how the family is doing.

Hope you get back into writing more on the blog.